As the world moved towards mobile, social media, email and different calling apps, there are still many people who prefer to use a telephone to contact their near & dear ones. However, there are many common people and small business owners who are not preferring to use conventional landlines due to many reasons, and one of them is the high costs. But now, thanks to the different technological advancements which have made the voice communication very easy & efficient. Among those, the biggest advancement is ‘VoIP’ which is soon going to replace the traditional landlines.
What is VoIP?
VoIP basically stands for Voice over Internet Protocol. We can also refer it as Internet Telephony, Internet Calling, and IP Telephony. It is generally considered as an alternative way of making the phone calls in a cost-effective way. In the present era, the ‘phone’ part is not necessarily present anymore, as you have the facility to communicate without even the telephone set. VoIP has also been considered as the most successful and popular technology of the previous few decades.
How does it work?
Voice over internet protocol is basically the method that takes the analog audio signals, and then convert them into the digital data which can be simply transmitted over the Internet. In other words, analog voice calls converted into the packets of data and then this data travel like any other kind of data i-e email, voice communication or multimedia. To run this communication process more efficiently, you can also consider using the help of VoIP service providers who can offer a complete assistance regarding VoIP solutions and related services.
Advantages of using VoIP:
There are multiple advantages of using VoIP, some of them are listed below:
- Cost efficient: the most attractive advantage of using VoIP is its cost-effectiveness. All the international calls using VoIP are quite inexpensive, and machine to machine calls are completely free. There are many best VoIP providers who offer unlimited calling in the US, Canada, India, and Bangladesh.
- Same phone number: you can keep the same phone number while calling anytime to any destination.
- Same services: You will receive the same services just you receive with the landline and can even make or receive calls on your computer, mobile phone or tablet.
- Inexpensive international calls: you can get the access to make inexpensive international calls.
Disadvantages of using VoIP:
As compared to numerous advantages, there are few of the disadvantages as well:
- Bit distortion: you may experience a bit distortion while using VoIP, like cracking, echoes or phone interruptions, but you may overcome these elements in few seconds.
- Internet availability is must: Internet availability is must for using VoIP, if you have lost the connection due to power outage or any other reason, you will not be able to contact using VoIP.
Why people prefer using VoIP over traditional landlines?
Cost savings are the biggest and strong motivation for using VoIP over a traditional landline. As we all know that, the international calls are quite inexpensive, so we can call unlimitedly in the United States and Canada with VoIP. VoIP service providers offer such attractive business plans that also reward you with greater discounts if you sing the long-term contract.
Applications of VoIP:
- Business calling: Aside from making a simple phone call, you can also make a conference call through your VoIP telephone. This will allow you to stay in touch with your clients, and you can also arrange meetings, share files and documents and launch presentations.
- personal calling: there are numerous mobile and desktop applications, like Whats App, Viber, Skype etc which offer the voice calling features and are simply based on VoIP technology.
- Portability: VoIP efficiently works with any kind of Internet-connected device, and it could be your smartphone, tablet PC, or laptops. All these devices can be used to make or receive your VoIP calls. This will make sure that all the users who use to travel frequently would remain connected every time at quite affordable rates.
Its important for every business to reevaluate their plans, strategies, tools, and techniques and most importantly improve their communication mediums from time to time especially when they are growing and need more efficiency to perform smooth operations.